I promise more blog posts will come soon. I have at least ten different titles/ideas saved, but several illnesses and the craziness of December (that, let’s face it, I LOVE) have gotten in the way. But for now, here’s a fun little holiday survey!
(That I borrowed from Julie over here!)
The 25 Questions of Christmas
- Eggnog or hot chocolate?
Eggnog. With bourbon. Hot chocolate. With peppermint schnapps. Or both. Plain. Don’t make me choose.
- Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
He wraps them, obviously, even the ones for the animals. Although as I’ve been Santa for my little sister the past ten years, so maybe I’m not qualified to answer this question. 🙂
- Colored lights on tree/house or white?
It varies. My mom always liked white on everything, so in recent years I’ve gone full-out color, but I think I’m missing the white lights!!
- Do you hang mistletoe?
No…I have never even seen mistletoe! At least real mistletoe. You can buy fake stuff at Target I think.
- When do you hang your decorations up?
As soon as possible after Thanksgiving!
- What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
We always have shrimp with lemon butter on Christmas Eve, and it’s always felt like such a decadent treat!
- Favorite holiday memory as a child?
Christmas pageants, and always the Christmas Eve service at our church.
- What is on your Christmas wish list?
Lots of things, as I’m so broke this year (thank you, AmeriCorps). But mostly boots (I have an addiction), ski goggles, and THIS BEAUTIFUL CAMERA.
- Do you open a gifts on Christmas Eve?
We open all of our gifts, except the ones in our stockings, on Christmas Eve! It’s a German thing, I’m told.
- How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
My sister and I put on our favorite Christmas record (yes, a record, my parents still have those things, plus a player) of Anne Murray and trim the tree with lights and all of our traditional ornaments.
- Snow? Love it or dread it? LOVE IT. Until about mid-January. But for Christmas it’s a MUST.
- Real tree or fake tree?
REAL IS THE BEST! But the BF and I have a baby fake tree because I felt guilty looking at tiny trees that had already been cut down before they ever had a chance to grow up. I’m the original Cindy Lou Who.
- Do you remember your favorite gift?
When my dad fixed my favorite camera, a telescope, earrings from the BF, and this awesome lego dollhouse from my awesome grandmother.
- What’s the most important thing about Christmas for you?
Traditions, family, and enjoying the season.
- What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Sooo many! Fudge, or these little almond cookies my grandma makes, and gingerbread men.
- What is your favorite tradition?
The Christmas Eve service at church where we sing all the carols, the massive amounts of baking, decorating the tree and hanging up “my” ornaments, driving to look at the luminaries my parents’ neighborhood puts up.
- What tops your tree?
This year–a candy cane. At my parents’ house, we always had this creepy angel doll (that looks pretty from far away!)
- Do you prefer giving or receiving?
As mentioned earlier, I took over Santa duties years ago, so I love giving! I get a little obsessive about finding the perfect gifts for everyone, usually off of something they mentioned months ago.
- What is your favorite Christmas song?
O Holy Night, Do You Hear What I hear.
- Candy canes, yuck or yum?
- Favorite Christmas movie?
Love Actually. And Christmas Vacation, because it’s just as hilarious every year.
- What do you leave for Santa?
Sometimes a few cookies. 🙂 This is a tradition I might need to work on…
- Do you have a Christmas morning tradition?
We wake up, eat cinnamon rolls and attack our Santa gifts!
- Do you prefer to shop on-line or at the mall?
At the mall, usually, to soak up all the Christmas energy :).
- Christmas letter or Christmas card?
You know me, any excuse to write. Plus I love reading them from other people!!
That it’s for now. Stay tuned for some actual writing. A few teasers: a sneak peek into my snide brain, some more thoughts on my kiddos, a book review, and more holiday stuff, of course.
I really am a sentimental fool. Better a fool than a scrooge. 🙂