Today, is the day.
The day I usher in my 25th year and say sayonara to the first quarter (ideally) of my life.
I don’t know if you can tell, but I find this a wee bit depressing.
Which is simply not acceptable since it’s my birthday, and it comes with everything that entails, like an ice cream cake, presents, a birthday dress and many other happy things.
Since it’s not okay to be sad when I’m still a “youngster” (as my younger sister put it…she’s always been an old soul) I started off my birthday by compiling a list of the all the great things about life in general.
And since that was so broad I started to stress myself out, I decided to find 25 simple things that prove the cliche “it’s the little things.”
1. Crossing things off my life to-do list. (If I start counting how much I still need to do I cry. So I re-cross off a lot). To broaden it, crossing anything off any list makes me quite content.
2. Pets. All of them I’ve ever had have brought some smiles to my life. Even the frog my sister killed. Even my brother’s snake. (I suppose I can’t really remember when the snake itself made me smile. It’s a snake. But it was named Fluffy so that brings a smile).
3. The Office.
5. Baby things. Baby animals, mostly.
8. A birthday dress.
9. Fall fashion.
10. A new planner.
12. Helping my best friend with her wedding. Even though I might go insane, it’s really fun. And watching another of my best friends getting happily married, too… 🙂
13. BIRTHDAY CARDS!
14. My dog that wags her tail every time I look at her.
15. Books with happy endings.
16. Ordering new glasses.
17. Travel books.
18. Ice cream cake. And cake in general. And cupcakes. Especially from friends on your birthday!
19. Humans are lucky: we get a lot of fresh starts. Even if we have a short life, every day is fresh.
21. The best month of the year (besides December and October…) living up to my high standards.
22. Finishing my AmeriCorps hours! Service year, check!
23. My peeps. (And the fact that I’m lucky enough to have peeps, and to have peeps who don’t stop talking to me because I call them “my peeps.” I am eternally grateful that none of my friends have ever disowned me…including the Boyfriend…when I let my love of vernacular and accents carry me away. Sometimes this happens in very public places so really, thanks, peeps.)
24. The Boyfriend. (Read this post. I’m lucky).
25. Oh YEAH! Redesigning my blog and finally getting back into it make me really, really happy. (And I hope this makes YOU happy, too).